Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Do You Surrender To Your Art Journey? Part 2

Hello!
I was so delighted by the intriguing responses from my first post of "Do You Surrender To Your Art Journey" that it's requiring a part 2! I definitely want to continue this conversation and hope if you're game, I am. 


First of all, to recap the post if you haven't read it, I was basically saying how I was trying to go deeper with my art, to the point where something else happens. It's as if the paint becomes "alive" if you will, and takes over and I give it the room to move as it may. No longer do I have an agenda, but I watch to see what the paint wants to do, where it wants to go. I'm no longer the frustrated artist, because my plans didn't get executed as I expected, but the art said, let me take YOU where I want to go. The journey has surely been more interesting. I have had new experiences, I doubt I wouldn't have had before. And I'm seeing new surprises right before my eyes, especially when I walk away and come back to the painting, as if the painting fairies showed up and finished the painting. Crazy, I know. 


Here are a few of the comments I've received, including this one from my Twitter friend @Peteshootspix: "Often, I 'allow' an image to go where it will when in Photoshop. Then arises the question, who or what is creating the art?". Oh, I just loved that, good one Pete! 


One artist on Google Plus, Kris Schirmer, wanted to know what I thought of her statement, "Art Objects Are Living  Beings" in which she wanted to have a discussion exchange. I'm still contemplating that one. But yes, I do think there is energy embedded in one's art.


Another artist, Susan commented, "drawings were as if she mediating". An excellent perspective.


You can find plenty of trained artists in the world. In fact, in art school, they know they can teach anyone to draw. There are the basics, the techniques one can learn to draw and draw well. But when an artist can "move" you emotionally in their art and create such positive ripples in the world, anhe energy is happening. You can attain head knowledge of how to draw or paint, but once you surrender after the techniques of knowledge are applied, then hopefully, something incredible happens. I think those are the artists that stand out from the pack. It's no longer just about the artist, but the "creative force" that takes over. Okay, so that's about as profound as I get, but I am going to leave you with two artists  interviews that have experienced more as an artist than myself from youtube. Hope you enjoy them, Allison.


An inside look at abstract impressionist artist Kathryn Henneman, her studio and her artwork.






Learn about the technique and philosophy of artist Linde B. Martin. See her amazing artwork. 




7 comments:

Lisa Graham said...

Thanks for sharing Allison. I am now following Kathryn now on her blog. Your post is good and I had an ah ha moment as I read it. I have been working on an acrylic painting of little girl dancers which is a redo of an old pastel piece that I was never satisfied with. I have been having the hardest time with this painting and I know why now. I have already created this piece and I have in my mind how I want the redo to look...and it's just not looking how I want it to. It is so clear to me that my playful art turns out so much better when I do what I do best...which is play! This new painting has too much purpose for my usual style of execution. I am tempted to just throw it in the trash... or better yet paint over it. But I'm stubborn so I will finish it. Then I will never attempt this again. I will just stick to that lovely, wonderful free flow, anything goes style of painting.

Now like you needed to know all that. But I wanted to share with you what your article sparked for me.

AllisonReeceArt said...

Lisa, that is so interesting your insight. Wow, I'm moved by your spark as well. Isn't this what it's all about to "spark" each other? Thank you for taking the time to share your art struggle and personal thoughts! You rock!
Allison

Janet Vanderhoof said...

I love the videos, it seems we always as artists want permission to be free from constructs and create from the inside out. I do believe that is the ultimate.

SANDRA J. PINEAULT said...

Allison, How can I thank you for these videos and the gift they are for me. I have posted your blog post on my blog. As I say there, I am reading again the Tao the Ching and these dovetail so preciously.
I am in awe.

AllisonReeceArt said...

Thank you Janet and Sandra for the kind comments. Sandra, very kind of you to add my blog post to your blog! I love those videos and glad they have made an impact.
Allison

Julie Bagamary said...

HI Allison,
Nice to meet you at the Cup of Hope.
juliebagamary.blogspot.com

AllisonReeceArt said...

Julie!
You found my art blog! Awesome. It ws a delight to meet you this past Saturday. I'll have to visit your work on your blog as well.
Thanks for stopping by.
Allison

Observations

Good Day! Here's another edition to my creative exercises on paper, "Observations". I really love this piece, it has an Ocea...