Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Anything Can Be A Canvas

This is one post I'm excited about and I'll share with you why. My parents had an old wooden door on the back of their house to the basement and it had rotted out from water damage. My husband went to the task of removing the door and replacing it with a new one. Once he had finished, he started to carry the door to be placed with the other trash. I stopped him and said, "Let's not throw the door away, let's see if we can re-purpose it!". A new artist friend of mine came to my mind, ....Ah, Joyce Thornburg! She paints on anything, doors included, I thought. I'll give her a call. Sure enough, Joyce was delighted to hear I had a wood door for her to paint on if she wanted to and she did.

Click here for my previous post on Joyce's work: Asheville's River Arts District And It's Talented Artists

Joyce had a recent art exhibit with a 1800's farmhouse door she had painted and it was well received. She calls herself the compulsive painter, she'll paint on anything and it's paying off! You'll see what I mean later on in this post, but for now I thought it would be nice to journey Joyce's process of this recycled door for you.

Here's is Joyce Thornburg with my parent's old wood basement door ready for her to paint.


My husband had to cut off the bottom of the door since it had water damage. Here the door is actually shown upside down.

I recently visited Joyce's studio during the River Arts District Art Studio and Stroll. And I was so happy to see the re-purposed finished beautifully painted door!

Joyce's brightly light sun-infused art studio at the River Arts District in Asheville, NC.

A close up of the painting on the door.

With Joyce's willingness and talent to paint on anything, along with her artistic vision, she has been commissioned by a local green builder to paint a door for his recent custom-built house in thriving West Asheville!

Here's the new commissioned door for a green custom-built home.

The above commissioned door with be installed at this new home. Here's the write-up about the green home for sale.

Way to go, Joyce! From just having fun painting on everything to getting a new start on commissioned doors for custom-built homes right here in our mountain city of Asheville, NC!


To find out more about Asheville's River Arts District, click here; River Arts District

13 comments:

Shannon Grissom said...

Inspiring!

Sarah said...

Very cool! I love that it tells a story.

bridgetstraub.com said...

Makes me want to paint my front door. Sadly I'm in an apartment so that probably wouldn't go over so well with my landlord.

Chris said...

Beautiful art work on display. Love the re-purposed door.

Lynda Coker said...

I'm thinking that none of my doors are going to be safe after seeing this post. So fanciful and unique! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

What a unique and clever use of old doors!! Love it-they are beautiful and "open" our eyes to a new life for those doors! Thanks for sharing Allison. :D

AllisonReeceArt said...

Thank you everyone for the great comments! Do you feel like you ought to got out a paint a door now? Kinda does, doesn't it?
Glad you enjoyed the post.
Allison

Laurie said...

Clever idea. Love to think outside the box.

Janet Vanderhoof said...

I alway love innovative ideas to inspire me to create in a new way. This is great.

Lisa Graham said...

Her painting is lovely and on a door...what a great idea. I just saw another painting on an old cabinet by Kelly Rae Roberts.

Heedless said...

That is so beautiful..I would love to look at that for a long time!!

Anonymous said...

Very creative! great job!

http://moochinginspirations.blogspot.com/

Franziska San Pedro said...

I so agree, anything can be a canvas!! I have never used an old door before -and I think it is a wonderful idea (and it looks beautiful, my compliments).
Some time ago, I decided to paint on old fabric, pretty much anything woven. If it's primed with gesso, you can definitely use anything on it, even oil.

Love this post, it's turned beautiful,

Franziska San Pedro
The Abstract Impressionist Artress

Observations

Good Day! Here's another edition to my creative exercises on paper, "Observations". I really love this piece, it has an Ocea...